Barnes and Noble recently released a firmware update V1.4.1 for the Nook Color that touts over 100 enhancements, including reading Nook books in portrait and landscape modes, direct look-up of words in the built-in dictionary, increased font selection and more.
Other new features and enhancements include:
- Access to popular movies and TV shows streamed through Netflix
- NOOK Comics including a large collection of Marvel graphic novels
- PagePerfect NOOK Books – a whole new category of NOOK Books including select multi-media features
The software update is scheduled to be rolled out over the next week and will automatically install when the device is idle. Once the update has been installed, you’ll see a small green “n” on the left side of the status bar.
Here is how you check to see if you have received the update. Click the raised “N” to reveal the Quick Navigation Bar, tap on settings, select Device Info the tap “About Your NOOK color” and look at the software version.
If you haven’t received the update and don’t want to wait for the over the air update you can update manually.
Here are the step-by-step instructions from the Barnes and Noble Web page:
To get the update manually, you can download the software update to your computer at any time and then copy it onto your NOOK Color. Simply follow the steps below. Manual Download Instructions:
- From your computer, click here for the software update file. Select Save and select Desktop as the location. Do NOT modify or change the downloaded file’s name in any way. Do NOT open the *.ZIP file.
- Press the Home Button and then tap Settings on the Quick Nav Bar. Then tap Device Info and make sure your NOOK’s battery charge is at 20% or more.
- Connect your NOOK Color to your computer using the USB cable that came with your device. A new, removable drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a “USB Mode” message on your NOOK screen.
- From your computer, drag and drop the downloaded *.ZIP file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder.
- Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.
- Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
- Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
- Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the unlock screen.
- On the bottom left status bar a green “n” will appear. Tap on it for additional information; the software has been successfully updated.
NOOK Color must remain turned on while the update is being installed. Once the software is installed, your NOOK will automatically restart. To verify you have the latest update, tap Settings from the Quick Nav Bar, tap Device Info, then tap About Your NOOK, and check to see that your software version number matches the number at the top of this page.
Congratulations, your NOOK Color has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Digital Customer Service support at 1-800-843-2665.